Umar is a Solicitor and Advocate of the Supreme Court of Nigeria and currently a Postdoctoral Fellow in the Islamic Legal Studies Program at the Harvard Law School. Before this, Umar received his LL.B. (Hons) in Common and Islamic Law from the University of Ilorin, Nigeria. He obtained his Master of Comparative Laws (with Distinction) and PhD from the International Islamic University Malaysia. His doctoral research was on the legal framework for Alternative Dispute Resolution in courts with Sharī'ah jurisdiction in Nigeria, Malaysia and Singapore.
Umar was a resource person on Islamic microfinance at the UN-Habitat Workshop on Land Development in Islam jointly organized by the UN-Habitat, International Islamic University Malaysia and the University of East London.
His areas of practice include Contemporary issues in Islamic law, Alternative Dispute Resolution, Arbitration, Comparative Law, Islamic Finance and International Commercial Arbitration. He is a member of the following professional bodies: International Centre for Dispute Resolution Young & International (ICDR Y&I), Mediators Beyond Borders; Young International Arbitration Group (YIAG), London Court of International Arbitration; Nigerian Bar Association; Association of Professional Negotiators and Mediators; and Mediation & Conflict Management Group.
- A Textbook on Islamic Finance (with Kabir Hassan and Rasem N Kayed). United Kingdom: Pearson Publishing Company, 2012 (forthcoming).
- The Dispute Resolution Framework for the Islamic Capital Market in Malaysia: Legal Obstacles and Options (with M. Kbair Hassan). In M. Kabir Hassan and Michael Mahlknecht (eds), Islamic Capital Market: Products and Strategies (pp. 91-114), United Kingdom: John Wiley & Sons Ltd., 2011.
- Corporate Justice and Dispute Management in Islamic Banks and Financial Institutions. In Mohamed Youssef and Syed Aziz Anwar, 5th Quality Conference of the Middle East: Proceedings of the Conference (pp. 187-198), Dubai, UAE: Hamdan bin Mohammed e-University, 2011.
- Writing of Judgments: A Practical Guide for Courts and Tribunals (with Dato’ Syed Ahmad Idid). Kuala Lumpur: LexisNexis, 2011.
- The Legal Framework for Alternative Dispute Resolution in Courts with Sharī‘ah Jurisdiction in Nigeria, Malaysia and Singapore. PhD Thesis: International Islamic University Malaysia, 2011.
- The Emergence and Development of Islamic Banking (with M. Kabir Hassan). In Islamic Finance: Instruments and Markets (pp. 113-117), London: Bloomsbury Information Ltd., 2010.
- Legal Research at Ahmad Ibrahim Kulliyyah of Laws, International Islamic University Malaysia: Trends And Policies (with Hunud Abia Kadouf and Ainul Jaria bt. Maidin). IIUM Law Journal (July 2010), pp. 1 – 30.
Integer eleifend diam eu diam. Nam hendrerit. Nunc id nisi.
- Reconciling Differences: Cross-cultural Mediation in Malaysia. In Muhammad Naqib Ishan Jan & Ashgar Ali Muhammad (eds), Mediation in Malaysia: Principles and Practice (pp. 137-170), Malaysia: LexisNexis, 2010.
- A Comparative Legal Analysis of the Role of Arbitration in Maritime Dispute Resolution. MCL Dissertation: International Islamic University Malaysia, 2009.
2011 Court-annexed Alternative Dispute Resolution in the Courts with Sharī'ah Jurisdiction. International Islamic University Malaysia Ph.D. (Law)
2009 Master of Comparative Laws (with Distinction). Common Law and Islamic Law. International Islamic University Malaysia. MCL
2007 Barrister-at-Law Programme (Second class upper division) Council of Legal Education (Nigeria) B.L.
2005 Bachelor of Laws (Common Law and Islamic Law) University of Ilorin (Nigeria) LL.B.